Growing the team at Goodwater
We’re thrilled to announce that we are kicking off 2021 with a search to find our newest team members across our Early and Growth Investing teams!
At Goodwater, our mission is to empower exceptional entrepreneurs who are changing the world.
And in our pursuit of that mission, we look a bit different than most venture funds in that we exclusively focus on consumer tech and are global investors with a portfolio that’s nearly 50% outside of the US.
We invest in a wide range of core consumer apps and services including financial services, health care, education, transportation, food, media, and real estate. If consumers spend time or money on it, Goodwater is likely investing in a market-leading company somewhere in the world in that category.
As the newest member of our investment team, you will have the opportunity to impact the entire spectrum of our investment process, including:
- Investment thesis development
- Due diligence and primary research
- Deal execution
- Portfolio company support
We think that the best full-stack investors will be an especially good fit if:
- You love research: Investing is all about seeking the truth and you are self-motivated to find creative and structured methods to uncovering insights that will drive our investment decisions.
- You are entrepreneurial: Similar to our portfolio companies, Goodwater is a fast-growing venture firm and requires team members who are builders and like to get their hands dirty.
- You are service-oriented: Venture capital is fundamentally a service business and we exist to serve and support our portfolio companies.
- You are passionate about consumer technology: 140 character tweets, vertical e-commerce, the “disruption of institutionalized industries” such as healthcare and finance — our team members live and thrive in the world of apps and internet services that impact the day to day lives of consumers. Your passion emanates in conversations with founders and is reflective of our mission.
- You are truth-seeking: We embrace the mantra “strong opinions, loosely held.” Investors who thrive at Goodwater are comfortable pushing back against a (near) consensus decision, and celebrate when their own point-of-view is challenged. Data is likely your favorite currency.
- You embrace investing as a team-sport: You don’t focus on who sources a deal, or who was the first to identify a trend. Instead, you use every opportunity to put your best foot forward as a team and are excited to pitch in whether it’s for a live deal, prep for a board meeting, or synthesizing findings for an LP.
- You reflect our core values of Integrity, Transparency, Quality, Service, Humility, and Justice.
To get to know each candidate better, we’re asking each person to share more about themselves in a few short questions, including:
Why are you passionate about consumer technology?
What can you uniquely contribute to the Goodwater team?
How would your peers describe you? What is something that most people don’t know about you?
What are two early-stage/growth-stage companies Goodwater should consider evaluating for an early-stage investment? Consider consumer tech companies that have raised less than $15/$40M in capital. You may choose to write about a startup based outside of the US if there are geographies you know well.
Please note that our roles across Early Stage and Growth have slightly different job descriptions and requisite levels of experience:
- VP, Early Stage — 5+ years experience
- VP, Growth — 5+ years experience
- Associate, Early Stage — 2+ years experience
- Associate, Growth Stage — 2+ years experience
We can’t wait to meet you!